XJO 0.21% 8,027.0 s&p/asx 200

Yes, that's one of the things with ETOs is that we can buy or...

1. 14,166 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 10
    Yes, that's one of the things with ETOs is that we can buy or sell them to take advantage of the option greeks - we can put in combination orders of a mixture of long and short options and not locked into only buying as is the case with some other derivatives.

I became wary of going short on individual stock options as unexpected things can happen during my years of learning. Puts are OK if the intent is to buy the stock if assigned and then possibly write calls to over that stock to create additional income. Which is something those who own optionable stock could be doing anyway with far OTM calls as long as they know how to manage the short call position if it's in danger of going ITM and how to keep it out of danger of being assigned if not wanting to sell the shares due to capital gains tax costs.

I've seen news come out late on expiry day which has caused assignment of options which appeared to be safely out of the money at market closing time. I've seen optionable stocks cease trading which causes all sorts of problems. Dividends can also cause all sorts of unexpected surprises. I came to the conclusion that writing options is safer on an index but still not foolproof and one needs to fully understand the risks involved.

Neo gave the link to Tasty Trade which I think was founded by Tom Sosnoff (with someone else, I can't remember now). But Tom founded Think or Swim brokers in the US and I had an account with them for a while a few years ago. Tom was passionate about helping others learn about options and Think or Swim had a massive amount of free ETO teaching material on their site. ToS have been taken over by TD Ameritrade now. Here's a link to their site which might give some pointers on trading options but it doesn't look like the massive amount Tom used to provide: https://www.tdameritrade.com/educat...investment-products/how-to-trade-options.page

I started learning with Guy Bower's book which is probably a good primer before tackling the more advanced books such as McMillan and Nattenberg. I started option education in the early 2000s - did a seminar but found it didn't help a great deal with actual trading so then set about to learn all I could with my own research, reading and lots of live trading.

This PDF by Charles Cottle switched on some lights for me with option trading. Not an easy read and I had a bit of knowledge of options including the jargon used before I read it. I think it took more than one go reading it before the understanding of synthetics kicked in which I found helped to joint a few dots in option trading.

Bit more holiday reading for you...

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.