Zipcar car sharing London

1. 35,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4

Here's a vid about car sharing in London. It could be equally applicable to inner Melbourne, Sydney etc.

Apart from the app being pretty well developed and the fact that they are now using evs, it does make you think about the whole car in a city thing.

When you walk around the inner burbs of a city, particularly the residential areas, the streets are full of parked personal cars. Cars that sit parked for most of their life.
    Imagine the space if all those parked cars weren't there ?

Sure, you need somewhere for the share cars to be serviced and charged but that could be anywhere. They could utiise some of the existing parking garages but more likely they could use industrial space 5 or 10 ks out of the city centre.

Also, watching this made me think about autonomous cars ( i.e taxis ) in city areas and how it makes so much sense. Unlike mass public transport that is good for moving people between suburbs, autonomous cars could be the go for the more local runs. Kind of like a personal public bus system really. You just put in your destination and a car that is already taking a passenger of two to that destination picks you up.
    It would reduce the amount of cars on the road massively not to mention freeing up space. I read somewhere a few years ago that nearly 45% of the space in New York city was dedicated to parking of cars.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.