"Re Matt 2:9 for example, it did NOT need to be translated as...

1. 8,407 Posts.
    "Re Matt 2:9 for example, it did NOT need to be translated as "was", if you take the truth of the words either side of it etc.
    Just because it might be translated like this or that elsewhere in the Bible, that does Not make it right, that's just pack mentality, following the sheep."

What I said was ..
    "BTW there are many other NT verses that use use ἦν and also translate it as "was". eg Matt 2:9, Matt 3:4 etc"

Which is true, present and correct and meant as an example.

Let's try to stick to the subject of how we can improve your understanding of translation and knowledge of Koine Greek.
    Throwing in red herrings and rehashing your current versions doesn't add anything.

So, to quote from my post ..

"Your John 1:1 translation using "I am" or "I exist" for the original Greek word ἦν as per the Interlinear is WRONG in this passage.
    It is not even the same form as the Strong's dictionary one εἰμί you insist on using and have built this inaccurate version on."

What do you think that simple fact means ?
    Especially since there is clearly no "I" in ἦν (or εἰμί where it is only an added option in some parsings.)

So, let's get to the bottom of this particular issue.

Then maybe we can look at why "with" was used rather than "to, towards" or one of the other myriad forms.
    What does (God's) Word to, towards God mean ?

"So come on, man up and tell us all WHY the above is incomprehensible, don't forget, it's the Greek lingo, not mine."

Wotsup, can't you see how this idea that "it's the Greek lingo," is wrong and misleading you.
    It's NOT Greek but your attempt to produce something in wotsupian English by misunderstanding how complicated and difficult Greek to English translation can be.

Please no more red herrings or rehashing your current beliefs, let's just concentrate on what's needed to improve your Greek translations.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.