This is not new and it's a massive threat for merchants. That...

1. 18,561 Posts.
    This is not new and it's a massive threat for merchants.

That happened to me when I had my own business about 15 years ago.

I was defrauded of $40k over two transactions. We had received approval from the bank for the transactions over the phone.

When we were advised that the cards were stolen I queried why the approval did not apply. I was referred to my merchant contract. It clearly stated in a highlighted box something like this from memory:

" A merchant accepting a card when the person using the card is not present accepts the risk that the person presenting has authority to do so. Approval of the transaction relates to the fact that the card exists and that it has sufficient funds. It does not approve the validity of the presenter. A merchant accepting a card over the phone runs a risk that the card is being used dishonestly"

At the time when I asked friends in business if they thought approval guaranteed the transaction they all thought it did.
    Once the bank took the write back they were not interested in chasing the thief. Neither was the local police, federal police or international authorities. My thieves were from Indonesia.
    To be fair the bank allowed me time to pay it off.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.