"Chaos" in the universe increases over time as predicted by the...

1. 27,105 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    "Chaos" in the universe increases over time as predicted by the 2nd law of thermodynamics. But that doesn't mean that an external agent is required for life.

The sun is radiating energy and its state of "chaos" is increasing; the earth receives a small fraction of that energy and the life that is made possible from receiving this energy represents a decrease in "chaos". The net effect is still an increase in chaos. Of course the part played by energy used by living systems is understood through the laws of nature that we understand through chemistry, physics, biology (evolution) etc.

As has been pointed out we don't know how life started or how the universe started. If we ever understand how the universe started we may find out how the laws of nature came into being.

As I see it the laws of nature are responsible for the evolution of the universe and of life itself. As I have said, we don't know how the laws came into being. I understand them as impartial without a conscious existence or a conscience anymore than the force that prevents us from flying off the planet has a conscious existence or a conscience.

If you want to call the laws of nature God, then OK, if that fits your views. As you say the term God "conjurers images of a personal, anthropomorphic being who created everything"; if he/she watches our every move with interest then all I can say is this God is invisible and passive as far as I can tell. Personally, I see no point in believing in a God that is invisible, and passive and defies attempts to find evidence for his/her existence.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.