I am extremely disappointed with Aged Care. I made extensive...

1. 46,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    I am extremely disappointed with Aged Care. I made extensive enquiries for my own mum and the ones I chose all had considerable waiting lists.

Eventually one offered a place and family went and did a pre acceptance tour and all looked Honkey Dory. Anyway we went with mum on the big day of her move . When we got there they had her sit on a bed and we had to wait for various formalities to be carried out. Hours passed and naught seemed to be happening. Anyway I decided to go for a walk within the complex checking out common rooms where lounges and television were available. I was not happy with what I saw and I noted there seemed to be a scarcity of staff on duty.

In my walk I actually came across the staff room where they have lunch etc and there were two Age Care workers there. I began chatting with them and I told them about my mum having just moved in that day. They told me that all the seniors there hated being there and basically were miserable till the end of their lives and that if there was any possibility of mum being able to be looked after in her own home that would be a better option. Anyway I still kept an open mind and returning to my Mums room I asked other family members if anyone had turned up as mum was still waiting.

Now mum was an insulin dependent type 1 diabetic and the Age Care facility knew that and she needed monitoring for blood sugar levels. But the on duty nurse had not yet turned up because she was busy with others in the complex. Luckily I came prepared and had a BSL monitor with me and I took her BSLs and they were far too low and that was because no-one turned up to give her a meal or snack during that waiting time. Then hunting around to get someone to get something to eat or drink to lift her BSLs I found was not easy. Anyway a nurse eventually turned up and we explained that my mum needed regular monitoring of her BSLs They did a test with the lancets I provided and noted that they did not throw the used lancet away. They said that they will use that same lancet for other tests during the day. I could see the look on Mums face because she knew all the ropes about type1 diabetes control having looked after herself during her active life.

I went straight to the Admin Office and told them sorry but we are taking Mum back home. They tried to talk us out of it , pressing quite hard including pointing there would be a financial penalty by pulling her out. Mum was more important than money and out she went to live the last five years of her life in her own home with arrangements that made certain she was living a quality life. She passed in her 98th year probably a record for a type 1 diabetic.

If Age Care stays as it is, I hope I kick the bucket before any need to be placed there and that's in spite of the fact that there can be some Age Care facilities that do provide excellent care but its a raffle as to whether you will find yourself in one of those.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.