Annastacia withdraws state govt funding for Adani

1. 46,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3
    The Federal LNP and State LNP now own Adani so the attempt at smear by the LNP
    has backfired as Annastacia has check mated them by withdrawing her govt’s involvement in the funding of the Adani project.

Like I told Fazz03 attempts at smear tend to backfire and there you go its already happened and LNPs Tim Nicholls will be pooping his pants.

"Adani: Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk withdraws Government involvement in mine funding

Updated about an hour ago

Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced her Government will have "no role in the future" of an assessment of a $1 billion loan to Adani for its Carmichael coal mine.
    The Northern Australia Infrastructure Fund (NAIF) is considering an application by the Indian company for concessional Commonwealth funds for a rail link.
    Ms Palaszczuk late on Friday revealed her partner, Shaun Drabsch, worked on the application to the NAIF with his employer, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), which acted for Adani.

She denied there was a conflict of interest and said her decision to exercise her government's "veto" to not support the loan came as the Liberal National Party (LNP) in Canberra was poised to launch a smear campaign against her in the run-down to the November 25 state election.
    "This afternoon I announce that my Government has had no role to date in the Federal Government's assessment process for Adani — now we will have no role in the future," she said.
    "To action my decision, I propose to write to the Prime Minister to notify him that my Government will exercise its 'veto' to not support the NAIF loan — and to remove doubt about any perception of conflict."
    She said the move would not affect the NAIF's ability to fund Adani, a claim disputed by the LNP's Tim Nicholls, the Queensland Opposition Leader, and Senator Matt Canavan, Federal Minister for Resources and Northern Australia.
    Analysis: Adani's election shadow

The Premier's decision to veto a NAIF loan would seem to be a body blow to the mining project, because Adani would have to seek finance elsewhere for the rail line.
    In May the company told 7.30 that the loan was critical to the project.
    However the situation is confused by the Queensland election campaign, because Ms Palaszczuk can't use her power of veto in caretaker mode, and LNP leader Tim Nicholls won't agree.
    So the Adani project, which was already a major issue for the November 25 election, takes on even greater political significance.
    Adani hasn't yet responded to requests for further comment.
    Federal Resources Minister Matt Canavan said the Queensland Government had been "all over the shop on Adani".
    "Last year, they wrote to the Commonwealth Government suggesting that we look at funding the Adani rail line through the NAIF," Senator Canavan said.
    "Then, in May this year, the Deputy Premier, Jackie Trad, said the Labor Government wouldn't participate in any NAIF loan to the Adani project, which would effectively block federal funding.
    "The next day, Treasurer Curtis Pitt contradicted her, saying the Labor Government's position was to support Adani being funded by NAIF."
    Senator Canavan confirmed that under the rules, a state must sign the NAIF project finance documents with the project proponent and have a role in management of the loan.
    "This is a circus, and it puts thousands of people's real jobs and real businesses at risk," he said.
    Chris O'Brien

Ms Palaszczuk said Mr Drabsch worked "only at a national level", and then only after Adani's mining leases in Queensland were approved.
    Advice sought from the Integrity Commissioner, to "avoid conflicts of interest in Shaun's role and in my job as Premier of Queensland", had cleared her of any wrongdoing, she said.
    Ms Palaszczuk said her partner's work for PwC was commercial-in-confidence, and so she had not known he was working on the Adani loan application because they had not discussed it.
    "I think we have reached a new low in Australian politics," Ms Palaszczuk told a press conference called late this afternoon, adding:
    "I have done everything by the book, my partner Shaun has done everything by the book... and now during an election campaign, they seek to smear his name and my name."
    Ms Palaszczuk said there was a "rumour circulating among LNP senators" who would seek to "impugn my character and suggest something untoward" during the Queensland election campaign.
    'Malcolm Turnbull can give taxpayers' money to Adani'

In a statement issued after the media conference Ms Palaszczuk stressed that Adani did not need the loan to make the project viable.
    "In terms of the project itself, Adani representatives have been on the public record numerous times indicating that they do not need NAIF to proceed with this project," she said.
    PHOTO: Tim Nicholls says the Premier has "put thousands of jobs at risk with this extraordinary backflip". (AAP: Glenn Hunt)

"I want to stress that the NAIF is a Federal Government initiative. We are not the decision-makers, it's the Federal Government.
    "Malcolm Turnbull can still give taxpayers' money to Adani if he wants to, but I won't stand for his LNP operatives trying to smear my good name."
    Ms Palaszczuk said as her government was in caretaker mode, she would need Mr Nicholls to "endorse" her decision.
    Mr Nicholls in a statement denied knowledge of any smear campaign and said Ms Palaszczuk had "failed" Queenslanders.
    "Thousands of Queenslanders' jobs depend on the Premier and she's failed them," he said, adding:
    "I know nothing of the rumours the Premier is referring to — I heard about them through the media just like thousands of other Queenslanders."
    'What's the problem' if Adani loan approved: Nicholls

Mr Nicholls said the NAIF should be left to decide on the merits of a loan to Adani.
    "If, as the Premier claims, all necessary conflict of interest measures are correct and above board, why has she put thousands of jobs at risk with this extraordinary backflip?" he said.
    "Given that NAIF loans are an independent federal process and state governments have a constitutional role to pass through the loan, what's the problem?
    PHOTO: Matt Canavan says the Premier is incorrect in suggesting a NAIF project can go ahead without state cooperation. (AAP: Mick Tsikas)

He labelled the threat to veto any Queensland Government involvement in the loan as a "stunt".
    "The Premier should honour her word and pass through the Adani loan if the independent NAIF makes such a decision," he said.
    Senator Canavan agreed, issuing a statement that said Ms Palaszczuk's decision put the Adani project in jeopardy.
    "The Premier is incorrect in suggesting the Federal Government can fund a NAIF project without the cooperation of the State Government," he said in the statement.
    "Under the rules, a state must sign the NAIF project finance documents with the project proponent and have a role in management of the loan."
    Senator Canavan said he, too had been unaware of the allegations against Ms Palaszczuk and her partner until today, and he described the situation as a "circus".
    “This is a bizarre situation where, because of the job of the Premier's partner, there are potentially thousands of jobs put at risk in North Queensland," he said."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-...uk-veto-qld-government-adani-brisbane/9117594
    Last edited by eagle888: 04/11/17

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.