NEA 0.00% $2.10 nearmap ltd

Those flight tracking websites use data transmitted from the...

1. 90 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 21
    Those flight tracking websites use data transmitted from the aircraft that typically comes from a GPS in the aircraft (ADSB).

The tracked flight you found was from somewhere near Beijing to somewhere else near Beijing at an altitude of 0' at 0 knots and took 3 minutes.

Most likely the aircraft has actually been sitting unused in a Hangar somewhere in the US for a few months and the GPS inbuilt battery backup lost its position (it happens when they are stored for a while, can take 20 minutes or more to get an accurate position - I speak from personal experience).

My guess is someone switched the avionics on for a few minutes to see if it still worked and the GPS fired up and was trying to find where in the world it was, ranging about all over the world and a receiver picked up a few of the spurious signals and assumed it was a flight.

If that aircraft really flew to China from the US (a bit like driving a rusty old landcruiser from Melbourne to SIngapore to demonstrate your latest line of high tech seat covers!), there would be a record of the flight, there isn't.

If someone thought it made sense to ship an old workhorse like that to China in a container so it could take some photos, that makes no sense. Plenty of aircraft the camera could be mounted on, already in that part of the world, no need for such an exercise.

Secret China expansion? Nah, not buying.

my 2c

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add NEA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.