DRO 0.00% $1.39 droneshield limited

Iraq's Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi survives assassination...

1. 6 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2

Iraq's Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi survives assassination
    bid by 'explosives-laden' drone

Iraq's Prime Minister Mustafa al-Kadhimi has survived an assassination attempt carried out by at least one armed drone that targeted his home early on Sunday.

Key points:

• A statement said Mr al-Kadhimi was in good health
    • No-one has claimed responsibility for the attack
    • Pro-Iran Shiite militia supporters have been camped outside the Green Zone

Two Iraqi officials, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the Associated Press even security guards were injured in the attack in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone, which houses foreign embassies and government offices.

"The rockets of treason will not shake one bit of the steadfastness and determination of the heroic security forces," Mr al-Kadhimi tweeted shortly after the attack.

"I am fine and among my people. Thank God."

A statement released by state-run media said the failed assassination attempt was with"an explosives-laden drone that tried to target his residence.

Local residents heard an explosion followed by gunfire.

It was not clear who was behind the attack, nor did anyone immediately claim responsibility.

The attack came amid a stand-off between security forces and pro-Iran Shiite militias whose supporters have been camped outside the Green Zone for nearly a month.

The pro-Iranian groups reject the results of Iraq's parliamentary elections,in which they were the biggest losers.

Protests turned deadly on Friday when the demonstrators marched toward the Green Zone.

There was an exchange of fire in which one protester affiliated with the militias was killed. Dozens of security forces were injured.

Mr al-Khadimi ordered an investigation to determine what sparked the clashes and who violated orders not to open fire.

Some of the leaders of the most powerful militia factions loyal to Iran openly blamed Mr al-Kadhimi for the clashes and the protester's death.

Last edited by Beno50: 07/11/21

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add DRO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.