Gold laced wyandotte are a dual purpose heritage breed ie meat...

1. 61,078 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 727
    Yeah I was glad when Mr Fig Jam finally took them

Yes they crow any time of day, my area is quite quite but I have not had any one complain. I think a rooster crowing give the sense of being in the county near a farm, I get some funny reactions when I am on the phone and the rooster crows.

Gold laced wyandotte are a dual purpose heritage breed ie meat and eggs so it's worth keeping a rooster and breed them. Roosters for eating, hens for eggs.

Gold laced wyandotte tend to get broody relatively easy and it's difficult to snap them out of being broody so best to just have fertile eggs for them to hatch. Being dual purpose heritage breed they are not cheap, fertile eggs sell for $40 for a dozen, unsexed chicks sell for $17 and pullets sell for $50 plus.

So if I breed them, sell and eat some, that offsets the cost of the feed which other wise makes the eggs expensive.

When I started out with having chickens I had a number of different breeds but soon realised I would end up with mixed breed so I eventually settled on just having Gold laced wyandotte and keep the breed pure. They are a very pretty chicken

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.