correction (@stanjupiter) I said for two and a half centuries...

1. 1,888 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1131
    correction (@stanjupiter) I said for two and a half centuries doctors had mistakenly practiced bloodletting in the false belief it helped - I mispoke it was actually for two and a half millenia - 2500 years.

I'm reading a book entitled Blood at present - author Douglas Starr - published 1998 - so it will be a little too old for some of the more recent learnings in immunology and cell biology to have been included - but it seems like an otherwise good book - backward looking and critical but not unsympathetic to the work of well meaning men (so far mostly men but women too) who thought they were helping their patients and sometimes went to heroic efforts to do so - but sometimes they simply didn't know enough - they didn't know about blood groups A, B, AB and O until very recent times.

Benjamin Rush a doctor at the time of the American independence war is described as a noble, generous hearted doctor, that simply didn't know any better - because he couldn't at that time - bleeding people.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.