ARU 0.00% 15.5¢ arafura rare earths ltd

laramide, page-2

1. 7,087 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 74
    alice may be base for uranium mine http://www.ntnews.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,19936961%255E13569,00.html
    Alice may be base for uranium mine
    By LEE STEBHENS
    28jul06

A NEW uranium mine employing more than 100 people could be built near Alice Springs following the NT Government's nuclear backflip.

Arafura Resources managing director Alistair Stephens said the company's Nolan's Bore project -- 135km northwest of Alice Springs -- would take about seven years to develop into a mine.

He said if the mine opened it would employ about 10 people for mining and between 40 and 100 people for processing.

Mr Stephens said Chief Minister Clare Martin's support for uranium mining this week had dramatically improved prospects for the project.

He said: "China is desperate for uranium.

"This turn around is coming at a really good time and will cement China's interest in the Territory and South Australia."

NT Minister for Mines and Energy Kon Vatskalis said the Federal Government would decide how many mines would open in the NT.

He said it would take up to five years to approve a new mine.

Ms Martin and Opposition Leader Kim Beazley's decisions go against Labor's three mine uranium policy that has blocked any new mines.

Ms Martin said on Tuesday: "I've always been someone who's supported uranium, so it wasn't as though I personally said 'I don't want any more uranium mines'."

Before the last election Ms Martin had promised no new uranium mines for the NT.

The only operating mine in the NT is Energy Resources of Australia's Ranger project 250km east of Darwin.

Arafura has a second site adjacent to Nolan's Bore as well as uranium projects 400km northeast of Tennant Creek and 175km north of Alice Springs.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ARU (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
15.5¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $371.8M
Open High Low Value Volume
15.5¢ 15.8¢ 15.5¢ $86.60K 558.0K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
152 5685993 15.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
16.0¢ 2166024 39
View Market Depth
Last trade - 13.47pm 20/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ARU (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.