1. 820 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 327
    Edison's phonograph - 1877.
    Audio cassette - 1962.
    CD - 1982.
    MP3 - 1997.
    iPod - 2001.

Notice anything?

Money power, politics & propaganda killed GM's EV 1, and here we are 21 years later. Now the biggest hurdles are the power of the old energy lobby and the craven gutlessness of certain political elements. As production of EVs ramps up the unit price will come down, widening the market.

If we start the clock at the GM EV-1 it will take longer than 23 years, but if we are counting from today I think the EU will be almost 100% electric (cars and buses) within five years.

China is an interesting case. There will still be many older mopeds, trucks and some small ICE cars around but anyone with money - and that is a LOT of people in China - will be driving EVs within a few years. India will be similar but it will take longer.

In Japan and South Korea I think the EV revolution will go berserk in a way that will surprise even those who are evangelical about EVs.

The USA is hard to call because some people there seem to think driving an ICE car is a symbol of one's belief in personal freedom and a rejection of globalism or George Soros or something equally ridiculous... but I think the bulk of the population will swing to EVs eventually, especially as they become more affordable.

(These are just the night ramblings of an amateur.)

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add GXY (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.