XJO 0.33% 7,724.3 s&p/asx 200

living on day trading the index

1. 2,911 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    Can it be done?

Yes, I believe so.

It is my belief that over the coming years, effective trading will involve being able to be both long and short the major indices.

To this end I have developed daily strategy.

As a dairy farmer, I have the advantage of being up before most traders. On clear negtive (positive) days I have found that whereever futures close at 7 am they are at least likely to retest or go lower(higher).

I therefore take an intitial position on that basis. I leave stops wide at this point, 30 points. If I am correct from 9.50 I move my stop into profitable territory at the earliest chance and contiinue to trail as best I can.

If wrong I this is the one time of the day I allow $ cost averaging and work on getting out as best I can. Having said that, there is generally enough early volititility to get out ok.

After 10.15 am, any new trades must have a 10 point stop. I therefore need to be pretty confident before entering. So often in my past good early profits have been blown away by sloppy intraday trades. This helps me avoid this.

I don't aim too high. For instance today netted $350 and trading day was over by 10.05am.

I have not had confidence to reenter today, and that is fine.

I will now look at the 4-4.30 pm zone. If I see a clear trend forming I will place an opportunistic order which may or may not be filled.

Wild volitity in this time frame can be a good opportunity.

Evening and overnight is too hard to maintain a proper stop loss policy.

We live off our visa card. My farm income goes into a seperate savings account. Every month I aim draw enough out of my trading account to pay the visa. This keeps me sharp and focused and less sloppy. If I have to pay interest one month, then that really makes me disciplined.

I admire people who can take a longer term view in this market, but I do not have the guts or knowledge.

I have a young family. We live simply.

Acouch's numbers are a great guide to me.

Not writing this to blow my trumpet but rather build discussion and hear what other people do.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XJO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.