"lol justis. we had higher population growth decades ago when...

1. 60,257 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 727
    "lol justis. we had higher population growth decades ago when cost of housing was falling.. the population growth story is a myth."

Realy, has the population gone down?

When did the cost of housing fall?

Oh I do vaguely recall when my house went from $130k to $120K Bugger maybe I should have sold before that.

Low and behold pre GFC that same property was worth $520K, bugger maybe I should have sold before that.

Well I obviously stuffed up seeing as it is now worth close to $600k, possibly more if I took the house off it.

That house was originality a rental property, the rent covering costs. I have a mortgage on it that is more than the original cost of $40k which I have use over the years to buy cars, trip to Europe, invest in shares, do renovations, put myself through Uni and now invest in my business.

All the while I live rent free, Mortgage interest is a tax deductible expense.

I don't have to think about when I may have a rent inspection or asked to move out.

At some point I will do the grey nomad thing, renting out the house while I do that will cover expenses.

It matters not to me if property prices fall, I don't expect that they would much but I will still own a bit of land to do as I please.

If I wanted to, I could sub-divide and pocket $250K-$300K but I don't need that money.

This was all from a decision to buy a property years ago.

Now try tell me that I made a bad decision and I should have just rented.

Steve, it seems to me your suffer from the guilt of not buying your own home and you come on hear to justify it, quite sad really.

And on a finally point is your wife and kid's happy not to have the security of a home of there own, happy to move house from time to time?

Never mind steve, there will always be a land lord happy to allow you to pay off their property

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.