XAO 1.26% 7,837.4 all ordinaries

Weekly WrapLast week I said: Given the frothy nature of our...

1. 9,376 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 4944

Weekly Wrap

Last week I said: Given the frothy nature of our market, it's possible we'll see a pull-back this week. If that happens, look to buy-the-dips.

It was a poor week on the XJO this week. XJO down -2.03%.

Daily Chart:

So, is it safe to buy this dip?

Going long in a bull market is usually safe, if the index chart moves back above the 50-Day EMA after a dip. That seems likely to happen on Monday given the strong performance by the U.S. market after the Jobs Report.

We still don't have any confirmation on any of the indicators, althought DZRSI is likely to rise above its lower band giving an early "buy" signal. The less trepiditious might wait for further confirmation from indicators.

A lot of short-term damage was done to ASX100 stocks this week, although the medium-term and long-term remain positive.

Less than half the ASX Sectors are positive in the short-term. 82% remain positive in the medium-term, and all sectors are positive in the long-term.

This qualifies, then, as a "dip" to be bought.

XHJ (Health) remains the strongest sector by far on both the Relative Strength (0.64) and Cumulative Momentum (45.33). No other sector is nearly as strong. Six XHJ stocks sit in the ASX100 and all six are above their 50-Day EMAs. The strongest stock is CSL. Its been my favourite stock now for some months and remains a "hold".

The weakest sector by far is Financials (XXJ) with a Relative Strength of -0.47 and a Cumulative Momentum of -19.06. Sixteen XXJ stocks sit in the ASX100 and thirteen are below their 50-Day EMA. A dismal reading. The four big banks are particularly weak. Leave alone until we see some turn-around in the banks.

Here's the Cumulative Momentum Index for Large Cap Stocks with Low Volatility:

The three stocks with the strongest momentum are CSL, Woolworths and Sydney Airports. Those were the picks from previous week. Woolworths, however, violated the 5/20 negative x-0ver rule on Thursday and would have been sold. Continue to hold CSL and SYD. (Note: because of higher volatility, Miners and Energy stocks are eliminated from this set of stocks.)

In ETFs, the two picks were IOO and IEM. IEM violated the 5/20 negative x-over rule on Monday and would have been sold. IOO and Gold are the two strongest ETFs on a Momentum basis, but Gold is still negative in the short-term so it is eliminated. Continue to hold IOO.

Seasonally, the market tends to be weak in the first half of December and strong in the second half (Santa Rally). That looks to be playing out again this year. The Elephant in the Room remains the trade war between China and the U.S. A First Phase Deal is set for 15 December. If that fails, then all bets on a Santa Rally will probably be taken off the table.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add XAO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.