RIO 2.71% $117.77 rio tinto limited

so where to from here...

1. 3,128 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 12
    OK, so its probably safe to admit that RIO's slide has surprised us all.
    I hope that none were caught in the swift decline from 98 - 87!

But where to from here?

The underlying company is sound. Profits were lower, and production didn't excite however its probably safe to say that RIO tinto is currently trading at a considerable discount.

TECHNICALS

- It punished the 50dsma over a week ago, at the $97 mark, where I thought we could see support. This support wasn't confirmed, so there was no buy signal.
    - The market index sits on the 200dsma, and for RIO, this lies at $83.
    - Next support is at $85 from April highs.
    - Fibonacci 61.8 retracement is just under $85 taken from march lows. Taken from january lows, it puts the 61.8% retracement at $83.
    - MACD is clearly negative and is diverging, with a recent flat histogram, suggesting that we may see some consolidation at current levels.
    - Stochastics reveal oversold, but no buy signal as yet as %k and %d are both below 20.
    - RSI is sitting on 30, suggesting its not oversold as yet.

Volume today on the decline was small. We finished higher than the open today.

CONCLUSIONS

1. Significant support at $85 and $83.
    2. No current buy signal
    3. A possible trade would be to consider accumulating stock between $83 and $85 (this is what I will be doing).
    4. Downside target unlikely to exceed $80 (feb highs)

5. Wait for RSI to be below 30 at least, Stochastics to upturn on a double bottom, and MACD histogram to uptick before commiting serious money to the cause. Downside is always unexpectedly severe.

Any comments, always taken into consideration.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RIO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.