PGH 0.59% 84.5¢ pact group holdings ltd

Ann: Takeover offer for PGH - Letter to shareholders, page-25

1. 165 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 206

Hi Ben

Thank you.

To avoid any doubt the 2 thresholds (i.e. 75% and 90%) apply in any bid: see S 661A1 of Corps Act. You are right that the 90% rule is the one that gets all the publicity. That is because in nearly all bids the 75% rule is redundant (i.e. it is overpowered by the 90% condition), because the bidder usually has a much lower starting holding- typically no more than 20%. The crossover point where the two rules equate is where a bidder has a starting holding of 60%. If he has fewer than 60% at the start, the 90% rule is the only one that matters. If he has over 60%, then the 75% rule is a tougher condition to satisfy than the 90% level. In PGH’s current bid, RG started with 50.001%, so under the 75% rule RG must reach over 87. 5% to use CA. However, the other limb says that he must achieve over 90% to use CA, and that is clearly tougher—hence people only talk about 90%. This is by far the most common example. In a very small number of cases, a bidder may start with over 60%: in that case, it is the 75% rule which is the tougher condition to satisfy. That rule would be the one that RG would worry about, if he had to start a new bid with anything over 60%- and of course 87% or 88% would be such a case.

Re Bris Connections. That was a notorious case which was I think the first high-profile adventure run by Nick Bolton. He is very smart but some consider unscrupulous. He has a reputation for pushing the law to uncomfortable extremes in some cases. In Bris Con he did receive several $m for selling the voting rights involving partly paid units that were almost worthless and there was a liquidation risk for the project. That part was clever. However, he took a huge risk involving a put option with another party re being willing to pay a huge capital call on the units. If you have the patience it’s a fascinating case and the judge’s opinions were very critical. Nothing to do with takeovers, but an interesting and extreme case of corporate greenmail. Very clever but legally dubious.

My own position. I did buy into PGH when the first bid was made, because the price was absurd. I decided to sell (ON MARKET at 86c, not to RG) after RG increased the price to 84c and made it final. I reckoned there were 2 possible outcomes: either RG would win in which case there was no point waiting; OR he would fail and very likely come back for another go, with PGH remaining listed until all that happened. When the dust settles I am happy to buy in again. PGH is a good business and worth MUCH more than RG is offering (of course). I only ever had $40K invested. I am currently tied up in some big illiquid stocks, and a 2m holding in HUM- which continues to be painful but I’m convinced will eventually come good. Despite selling I’m following the tactics in PGH with great interest.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PGH (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
84.5¢
Change
-0.005(0.59%)
Mkt cap ! $290.9M
Open High Low Value Volume
85.0¢ 85.0¢ 84.5¢ $27.96K 33.09K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 34451 84.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
85.0¢ 45625 17
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 10/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
84.5¢
  Change
-0.005 ( 0.00 %)
Open High Low Volume
84.5¢ 84.5¢ 84.5¢ 4063
Last updated 15.22pm 10/05/2024 ?
PGH (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.