@belcurve. At least you are arguing the subject to a degree....

1. 3,493 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 80
    @belcurve. At least you are arguing the subject to a degree. Most with your views argue from the moral high ground - akin to they who profess faith. Honestly, even if I knew nothing about Physics or Chemistry, I would be skeptical. The reason for that is our illustrious ladies and gentlemen of the Fifth Estate. When they espouse and proselytize a cause célèbre they are invariably wrong. They are usually only trying to increase their own (self-perceived) fame.

Of course I agree with you, that humans are changing the planet. But seeing you cannot perceive what i mean, i will explain it in detail. We are miniscule in the face of natural disasters. ie. Mt Tambore Krakatoa, Mt Pinatubo, Mt St Helens. Sorry if I harp on about volcanoes, but they are a speciality of mine.

Let us deal with the South Pacific - where we live. Take the El Niño and La Niña events, which the press used to mention every day, and has since largely forgotten. Now. The tropical western Pacific is a "hot pool" in the Pacific Ocean. there are temperature gradients across the Pacific, or "thermoclines" if you prefer. Now the ENSO has a period of up to eight years and the Pacific Decadal Oscillation (PDO) which is observed over the whole Pacific hand has a periodicity of two or three decades. Therefore, even they who are aware of this, have only figure for less than two hundred years. This temperature variation, was noted by Peruvian fishermen centuries ago. So we are basing assumptions on incomplete data.

I could go on, but you will merely change the subject to something which I know little about. Then you will reckon you have negated my whole argument. For like all fanatics you have to prove nothing, you merely - like the religious perverts, - claim you have faith. Interestingly, when I brought this up with a religious friend, he merely said. "GOD will provide." ergo; we need to do nothing, I guess.

Now to finish with: The rising ocean levels. (roll of drums) The islands up near PNG that they talk about. The oceans may or may not be rising, but those islands are sinking. They are in a subduction zone. Read up on the Indo-Australian Plate.

I agree with you that we need to curb our use of non-renewable assets, and live within our environmental budget. But most of the arguments are merely political. These nutters want to gain power, and tell everyone else what to do.

Over their dead bodies they will....Marum.

Last edited by Marum: 22/02/21

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.