I better add to that, so no one gets the wrong idea they are not...

1. 80,821 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    I better add to that, so no one gets the wrong idea

they are not ignorant at all - they are extremely friendly - and, they do not mind in the least that a dumb Aussie cannot speak French.
    If you do speak with anyone - out in public anywhere - they always respond positively - and, are very happy to do so.

All ages - all colours. - If I want to know something - I tell them in French that I'm Australian and I cannot speak French - I ask if they can speak English - if they cannot speak any English - then I have my question typed in google translate - which I turn the phone sideways (shows the letters large) - and, show them -

they then tell me if they can what the answer is to the question.

Almost always trying to communicate by voice without having the language shared usually ends up in laughter or giggling and they absolutely love to hear you say that their English is good or very good and that my french is 'shit' - and, they well know that word.

Just back to the self absorbed thingy -- if you do want to communicate that you notice them - just by 'bonjour' or eye contact and smile etc. - it's always reciprocated - I would say 95% of the time anyway

one other thing of note - and, I will have to use some unPC terms - but, whatever.

In Oz in my experience - and in the UK - if you see what I would call a knuckledragger - a bonehead looking for a place to happen ----------- very often, you call it correct.

Here - not so. I have seen the most boneheaded boofheads who you would think is just trouble looking for a place to happen and yet, they are invariably nice guys - there IS a 'taming of the wild' here - a friendliness without the aggression that I'm used to seeing in Oz - indeed, they talk about 'wildness' -

there was a discussion last week about if France is actually seeing a rise in violence or not - and, the term they used was 'returning to wildness'

I thought that worth mentioning --------- and, I have seen none of it here at all - I did see it in the UK a little.

I have absolutely zero concern about walking up to anyone here and speaking with them - no matter what they look like.
    About the only dangers I see is walking along the river banks when there's lots of people out and kids are everywhere - all mixed up - blacks, whites, browns - all chasing each other madly - and, sometimes - you can get involved in a tag race - which wasn't quite planned - being run over by a herd of 4 year olds is like being in a horse stampede if there's enough of them - the kids are very absorbed in their games

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.