SYR 0.00% 26.0¢ syrah resources limited

Thanks, Tobyjack, for putting this material front-and-centre of...

1. 2,038 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 147
    Thanks, Tobyjack, for putting this material front-and-centre of the graphite mine discussion.

This statement is really Mr McKinnon, of Energiser, publicly admitting that their Molo deposit, in the mountains of Southern Madagascar, suffers from a serious disadvantage, compared to the SYR orebody at Balama.

Quite simply, Molo has major infrastructure problems, especially in regard to the supply of power. Right now, and apparently into the foreseeable future, they are forced to use diesel powered generators at the site, with corresponding very high costs. Energy can represent a large slice of the operating costs at a mine, and McKinnon's words bear this out - to the extent that they may be unable to exploit their vanadium resource for quite some time.

Contrast this predicament with the position at Balama, which is scheduled to have ample power from the Mozambique grid, connected at the site before the end of this year. And, of course, because Mozambique has large amounts of cheap hydro-electric power to sell, the price is low - about 4.5 cents per kilowatt-hour (Wouldn't we like to see that in Australia!)

Economies of scale may also help Balama. After all, it is at least five times larger than Molo, and the graphite orebody is about twice as rich, so SYR have more options available.

Cheap power not the only reason that Balama is likely to able to produce vanadium (and graphite) fairly quickly, but it sure helps.

Cheers, Prime1
  2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SYR (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
26.0¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $269.0M
Open High Low Value Volume
26.5¢ 26.5¢ 25.3¢ $1.799M 6.994M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
5 197742 25.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
26.0¢ 150102 4
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 31/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
SYR (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.