CWE 0.00% 4.2¢ carnegie wave energy limited

It is always a great pity that a new device that clearly works...

1. 1,225 Posts.
    It is always a great pity that a new device that clearly works has to be abandoned. No doubt much debate and testing went into it.

What was everyone’s reaction to seeing and interpreting the single photograph?

Mine was, what a clumsy expensive device that merely converts the motion of the two 6m diameter floats (LHS, attached to the long arms) into electric power. This is equivalent to two CETO 3s. Having such a colossal superstructure allows access to the PTO system in the dry situation – if any staff were brave enough to be inside during a heavy sea. A dedicated jack-up rig seems to be constructed for just 110 kW of output.

What would happen in a wild night of 6m waves or higher?

The two floats would want to lift high so as to produce a tipping force (clockwise to the right) on the entire rig. If there were an isolated rogue wave of say 8m then the entire superstructure would become a floating boat which would flip over since the wave hits the far side before the near side. Presumably the rig’s legs stand simply on the sea floor. They could say, “Oh well, we just jack up to a higher level.” But can you do that rapidly enough for single very large waves? (You don’t even know that a single large wave is coming.)

How simple and robust the CETO system is by comparison.

What scale up to the structure would be required for the 1 MW output they desire?

I find it surprising that the European Commission offered a grant of EUR20.7 M towards the intended larger model. It is not surprising that there were no other company backers.

What does this say? Possibly that the European Commission is desperate to find a WEC solution to the need for renewable energy. If so, it means that CWE can shortly say, “We are here at WaveHub with your solution. Just back CETO 6.”

Feel free to comment. Various assumptions here.

Juke

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CWE (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.