if you think I approve of of support what Israel is doing in...

1. 17,123 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 325
    if you think I approve of of support what Israel is doing in Gaza you are wrong. But what I am capable of, unlike some others, is at least trying to make sense of events without the hateful garbage some post, and without making assumptions.

the reason I try to do that is because if one doesn’t history is bound to repeat itself.

but what hotcopper shows clearly is that people want to turn it into a goodies vs baddies show. They find it hard to avoid taking sides, rewriting or ignoring history.

I’ve never supported Zionism - ever - and believe that creation of the state of Israel over the protests of Arab nations was a recipe for disaster but 33 nations including Russia voted to support the partition. While non binding you ought to read the actual resolution.

nothing in this sorry mess is right and the international community as a whole has blood on its hands not just Israel, or the US or even Britain who meddled prior to that. The Arab states which did not exist prior to the twentieth century, the PLO and then Hamas. Egypt. Iran. Jordan Qatar. They’ve all played a part. They’ve made decisions, taken action, claimed rights they’ve earlier rejected. Maybe you just aren’t interested in any of this.

i acknowledge fully that it is difficult to achieve true objectivity in this matter or to be balanced at all. There are too many factors, too much context that needs to be considered and too many conflicting opinions. You can read opinions and analyses by smart, competent and logical minds and see different conclusions. I’ve read legal opinions, historical reviews and paper after paper.

it’s complex, contorted and twisted by sentiment, by belief systems and by the piece of history one references. It is clear from what I have read that views about Jews, Israel, muslims, rights of the conqueror and interpretation of international law plays a part in how any of this has been perceived throughout the 20th and 21st centuries.

I have little hope of grasping the complexity better than those who have made a lifetime of effort but at least I’ve tried.

and in my view (and that of many scholars who have referenced evidence in the form of records)
    over decades whether you want to acknowledge it or not religious - or is it ethnic bias has played a part - on all sides.

I’ve seen some of your posts before they were moderated on other threads and if you want to pretend to yourself they weren’t anti semitic you are fooling yourself.

this is not a goodies vs baddies situation. It is not a Jews vs Arabs (or should I try to use like for like - Israel vs Arabs or Jews vs muslims) problem alone. It is not about some bull… reference to ancient rights or about something called Palestine that was occupied only by those now in Gaza.

everyone who engages in hate and violence, revenge and entitlement is a threat to peace. As are those who have taken a simplistic position on what is effectively support for Hamas (who was voted into power by Palestinians and shifted from a welfare focused religious organisation into a political force prepared to wage war or commit terrorist acts).

in short it’s complex mess and whatever excuses or reasons you give it will not end with any grace. Even if Israel is destroyed by process of world opinion it will not end well.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.