Hi,I don't think nuclear weapons would be nice at all , as I...

1. 6,459 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 284
    Hi,
    I don't think nuclear weapons would be nice at all , as I said ,in most circumstances , they are likely to decrease our security rather than enhance it .
    Worth considering , only if Indonesia acquired them first.

You asked who are the credible risks to Australia.
    I would have to agree with you , if you are mainly concerned with next Tuesday .
    However , perhaps you might think about 20 years past that day.
    If we are going to have a defense force , those countries represent the 2 most likely to pose a threat.
    That doesn't mean they will become our enemy , but the most likely to pose a threat.
    Then decide if you wish to rely on the US looking after us at that time , presumably requiring us to back whatever policy they deem suits them, now , and into the future.
    Were the US going to be doing the harassing of the Chinese Fleet , not sure who else would be?

If we take what you have said in your last post at face value , it seems that there is no threat , so I presume you would disband our present forces?
    Chastise me if I have verballed you . and at the same time , perhaps , fill me in on your preferred defense structure.

Now back to your , Brisbane/Adelaide Line, view of Australian defense.

I would invade at Karratha and Darwin from my bases in Papua and Timor, cheerfully control the largest part of Australia's mineral and energy resources , and probably not worry about the rest for a while, apart from harassing sea lanes into the east coast , and occasionally bombing the train line across the Nullabor.
    I probably won't give a rat's rectum about Sydney or Melbourne [ shocking as that may be] for ages

So the punchline is , if we are going to have a defense policy at all , it shouldn't involve nukes , and should concentrate on making a sea-borne invasion of our North , as expensive and cost ineffective as possible. To do that , the present changes to defense procurement which are more defensive [excuse the pun] that the ALP are setting in place , make sense.
    And we should be really, really nice to the Indonesians.

And back to the thread title , we don't need nuclear power, and even if we did , I don't want Gina to own them.

cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.